Monday, June 25, 2012

good 'ole standbys

that on top is actually a burp cloth. I'm testing out patterns and burp cloths are actually very much like sewing napkins.

I've been in a little bit of a sewing rut lately, not wanting to finish up projects but wanting to sew.  I have more than my fair share of WIPs (works in progress) but nothing inspiring lately.  I don't feel like I'm in a place where I can work through any pattern directions or trouble shoot something that doesn't turn out exactly how I want it to.  Thank goodness for my good 'ole standbys... cloth napkins.

I like matching florals and geometric prints for my napkins.

I know that cloth napkins are nothing special, and they are so easy to make, it's kind of ridiculous to blog them, but hey. I do what I can.  Lately, that's been the rather routinized comfort of cutting 17 1/2" squares and sewing them together. Clipping corners. Turning with the bone turner.  Ironing with homemade spray starch.  Top stitching shut. Neatly folding and stacking. Seeing progress pile up. 


Love nice corners and even top stitching.

Some days I can only handle one task a night.  Some days, I can handle twenty.  Some days- none at all.  Lately it's been about one task a night, with a visit to the garden. Napkin making has been good.  And these napkins are a good sampling of some of my vintage sheet stash.  I love the idea of having a set so large I'd never buy cloth napkins again (even inexpensive ones, or those for special occasions).  A big set of mixed vintage prints would look lovely, as well as a table of matching floral/gingham prints.  Or, a mix-and-match assortment of only yellow prints, like we did for our wedding.

I've made four of each color way so far.
Didn't realize there were so many ginghams!  All vintage or thrifted sheets.


Anyway, I'm looking to sewing up more intricate projects than napkins soon.  I've got a quilted pillowcase with an invisible zipper on the docket-- just as soon as I feel like I can tackle it.  A wonderful looking pattern to try out from elegantitus.  Some very belated sewn gifts for friends.  And I can't forget my quest for the perfect summer blouse (evidenced here, here and here).  Summer feels like it's ticking away, but I'm just taking it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment